zaterdag 11 juni 2011

Les hautes fenêtres

Bonjour mes chers amis!

Welcome to my poetry translation blog. Always a keen admirer of the noble art of translation, I propose to try my hand at some poetry translations into French. Since I am a professional English, though not French translator, I welcome all the feedback you could possibly give me, so that one day, I might turn from an avid amateur into a "traductrice respectable".

My first attempts will be French renderings of the work of the English poet Philip Larkin (1922-1985).

Note: I did not study (or as much as look at) any existing translations of the poems in question. All of the stuff below is my very own plodding. ;-)

You can find the English originals by clicking on the poetry title links in every message.



High Windows (completion date: 12 February 1967; from the collection entitled High Windows, published 1974)

Les hautes fenêtres

Quand je regarde un couple d'ados
Et je suppose qu'il la baise et elle
Prend la pilule ou porte un diaphragme,
Je sais que c'est le paradis

Dont tous les âgés ont rêvé toutes leurs vies--
Les liens et les gestes poussés de côté
Comme une moissonneuse-batteuse datée,
Et tous les jeunes prennent le grand toboggan

Au bonheur, infiniment. Je me demande si
Il y a quarante ans, on m'a regardé
Et a pensé: Ce sera la bonne vie;
Plus de Dieu, ni d'angoisses dans l'obscurité

À cause de l'enfer et tout ça, ou d'être forcé de cacher
Ce qu'on pense du curé. Lui et sa troupe
Sont tous condamnés à prendre le grand toboggan
Comme des putains d'oiseaux liberés. Et immédiatement,

Plutôt que des mots, il me vient l'image des hautes fenêtres:
Le verre qui comprend le soleil,
Et au-delà, le ciel d'un bleu profond, qui montre
Rien, qui est nulle part, qui est infini.


Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten